The Last Sword Master

Let the community know what your working on and get some feedback.
swordmaster
Site Admin

The Last Sword Master

Post by swordmaster » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:16 pm

This project is a throw back to my first attempt at making a game with RPGToolkit 3 titled "The Last Sword Master", which is actually where my username came from. Sadly the TK version was not to be after I lost it to a computer virus way back when I was like 13.

My plan is to remake the game using the RPGWizard, although I can't remember the exact story line it had something to do with Knights, Dragons, and oh yeah Ninjas because Ninjas (I don't know if they'll be coming back).

At the moment I'm working on a sandbox environment for testing all the game mechanics, so far I have a simple ARPG battle system, moving enemies, and HUD for displaying the characters current health. After I am happy enough with that I'll move onto to creating the game world and its characters.

Grindalf

Re: The Last Sword Master

Post by Grindalf » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:22 pm

This is looking great. I'm looking forward to playing around with your battle system when you release it :P

swordmaster
Site Admin

Post by swordmaster » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:32 pm

So I've been able to get my ARPG battle system working, some polish still needed of course but for now I am working on my inventory system. I plan to keep it very simple the player will be able to hold 20 items made up of consumables, quest items, treasures, food, etc. and an additional 8 slots for equipment. I want to make it very lean to make it easier to use on mobile devices, the whole inventory will be mouse or touch driven. Here is my working design so far:

swordmaster
Site Admin

Post by swordmaster » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:44 am

So I've managed to finish my inventory system, I can equip and unequip items, consume potions and food, and when the player hovers over an item it will provide them with a little description.

It took me about 450 lines of code, which I've made as generic as possible since I plan to use this for the default system.

rpggamer17

Post by rpggamer17 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:31 pm

Generic? You mean awesome. Looking great.

swordmaster
Site Admin

Post by swordmaster » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:32 pm

So I've been working on this game quite a bit lately, been fleshing out the inventory system, I've added some walking NPCs, and a very basic cut scene, you can see all of my progress in the YouTube video at the bottm :D

Moving between boards with lots of layers is a little slow at the minute but I'll be working on ways to make it much faster, I also still have to write some decent dialogue for the cut scene :P

swordmaster
Site Admin

Post by swordmaster » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:30 pm

Another short video showing off my action battle system and menu screen, please excuse the video quality :P

Still some minor glitches with animations, but it is perfectly playable, there are a mix of enemies on the board, 2 of them are set up for passive bump interactions with the player, and the other 2 with actively seek out the player if they come into range.

swordmaster
Site Admin

Post by swordmaster » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:39 pm

Online demo of my project is available at:

http://rpgwizard.org/games/TheLastSwordMaster/

Controls:
Start: Enter
Movement: W, A, S, D
Open Chest, Advance Message Window: E
Slash Sword: Space

Notes:
Please use Chrome or Chromium browsers, the fullscreen mode that I have implemented for 1.1.0 currently isn't compatiable with any other browsers
Moving between boards is a bit slow, I'll be looking to fix that though, also playing it via the site is slower than local play. I'll probably look into pre-loading more of the assets so there is a bigger up front loadtime but smoother board switching.

rpggamer17

Post by rpggamer17 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:37 am

The demo worked like a charm for me. The boss battle was my favorite part. I technically died. I'm glad there wasn't a game over screen in it.
The message window in the beginning was neat as well. I still can't figure out how you did that or how you did the knockback effect. Amazing showcase!

swordmaster
Site Admin

Post by swordmaster » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:17 pm

Awesome, I'm glad it worked :D The message window is fairly straight forward, the battle system took a while to get right admittedly. I've still got a few more things to add like projectiles, block pushing, and locked doors.

You'll be glad to know that I plan to release the code behind my game starting with the message window system. I'll try to upload an pre-release build of 1.1.0 over the next day or two so you can run my game code :)