1.4.0 - What feature do you want the most?

If you have any feature requests or suggested changes to the RPG Wizard software post them here.
swordmaster
Site Admin

1.4.0 - What feature do you want the most?

Post by swordmaster » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:27 pm

Hi guys,

This is an open topic for 1.4.0 feature requests, I'm not using a poll this time, instead you can make suggestions for whatever you want to see in the next version of the RPGWizard.

I'm aiming for a early/mid summer release for 1.4.0, so they'll a good bit of time for new stuff. Please be as specific as possible with the feature you want and why you want it, preferably with images of other solutions. Refrain from suggesting anything silly such as a warp drive, RPGWizard won't be taking anyone to the moon :P (yet).

Suggestions so far:
  • Default Battle and Menu System
  • Basic Project Template
  • Option in the Editor to include RPGCode libraries (like TK plugins)
  • RPGCode getting a sprites collision, mouse events on a per canvas basis
  • An undo button for the boards.
  • Have the editor remember the previously open project for the next startup.
  • Better board vector tools, shapes, and dedicated board program tool.
  • Autocomplete for rpgcode functions.
  • More documentation for getSprite() and getCharacter()
swordmaster

DFroGGotten1

Re: 1.4.0 - What feature do you want the most?

Post by DFroGGotten1 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:43 pm

while I haven't tested the default battle engine, is there a front view option? if not, maybe two options to add to battle engines would be Front/Side view, and (if front view) Sprite or Profile image. Sprites would stand atop the standard battle info window. Profile would just have a square image representing a character in the battle window. Additionally, in Side view, maybe have a option of stationary or mobile enemies, with mobile enemies making slight movements forward when they have a turn.
"People fear the unknown, but they also fear obtaining the knowledge to understand it, for understanding the unknown means learning forsaken truths"

swordmaster
Site Admin

Post by swordmaster » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:17 pm

Well technically at the moment there isn't a default battle engine, there are 2 examples. One of them is the Wizard's Tower (board turn-based) and the other a Zelda battle system.

I think the default system would probably be like this, but with profile pictures too:

Maybe I'll get sometime to work on it in the future.

rpggamer17

Post by rpggamer17 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:57 pm

Edit: Condensed this post a bit:
A default battle system (and menu system) would be nice. I guess these could be made entirely in javascript.

A 'include default battle/menu system' option could be added to project creation. A 'load programs before running' kind of feature (in the project window) could be added. It'd basically just call loadasset before the start up program/board is ran. The default systems and their programs could be added to that list on selection. After they've been made of course.

I'll try and convert the action battle system into an easier to edit format - for a skill/item throwing system (don't count on it). Moving it to a module pattern might make it a bit easier. The battlesystem DFroG mentioned seem rather interesting. I think it's basically the one you've posted but with an orientation option. I think all that would be needed for that is a few if statements in the draw functions.

Honestly, I think the hardest part is a menu system. Implementing scroll bars, tabs, and registering mouse updates. Hopefully, I can get my window / canvas-expansion project polished. It's able to have 'canvas' specific mouse event functions. If its possible to go ahead and add this feature that'd be neat. I'd make my efforts pointless though :cry: :cry:

Other stuff:
Easier access to:
- A canvases width and height. Instead of using rpgcode.canvases[id].canvas.width
- A sprites collision box.
I mainly want to use it as a reference point to spawn things.
Spawn on the right side: var tx = targetlocation.x + targetbounds.x2 + distanceFrom;
Note: I think sprite location is just the top right corner of the sprite and not the center point of the collision rect. I forget.
Last edited by rpggamer17 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DFroGGotten1

Post by DFroGGotten1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:48 pm

Is that from Dragon Quest, swordmaster?
"People fear the unknown, but they also fear obtaining the knowledge to understand it, for understanding the unknown means learning forsaken truths"

swordmaster
Site Admin

Post by swordmaster » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:14 pm

@DFroGGotten1, yup that is from Dragon Quest. Can't remember which one now mind you, haven't even played them just like the style of that battle system.

A pretty simple battle system could be made based on boards, the player, NPCs/Enemies. Basically when you start a battle you'd actually be sending the player to another board, which would save on writing custom rendering code. You could then take advantage of the layer images for background and foreground. You could even use a layer for the UI graphics, you'd just have to use RPGCode to draw the text and cursor then.

You could set the board entry program to be the battle system, and based on some variables you set before starting the battle, it would place NPCs and Enemies on the board, plus the player's character of course. Then you could just let that program run until the battle ends, and send the player back to the previous board or whatever.

The Wizard's Tower battles pretty much work in this way, only they happen on the same board. Creating the menu interface isn't too hard as long as you keep the list of actions fairly simple, like the FF series of games:

@rpggamer17, sounds like one feature might be to have project template, another the ability to select what extra JavaScript libraries (basically RPGWizard's plugins) you want to use with your game. I'll consider some expansions to the RPGCode API too.

Feel free to make improvements to the ARPG battle system and reply on the topic, I'll check them out, and update it etc.

DFroGGotten1

Post by DFroGGotten1 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:42 am

Project templates does sound like a good idea. It'll be nice to have options like 'adventure', 'rpg', 'Jump platformer', 'space shooter', etc.

swordmaster
Site Admin

Post by swordmaster » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:16 pm

Well I think in terms of templates it would real be a choice between turn based RPG and action based RPG, and the option to include some standard scripts for menus and message windows etc.. Definitely won't be any platformer or space shooter ones, the RPGWizard isn't designed for those kind of games ;)

EgyLynx

Post by EgyLynx » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:22 pm

Well... My think to suggest is already suggested...
So, let me think what else i will wanna see?

rpggamer17

Post by rpggamer17 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:59 am

-An undo button for the boards.
-An open project on startup option.
-A easier way to add programs to the board. I think that would be the vector tools feature from the last post.
I don't think these are even possible but:
-When you type 'rpgcode.' can a list of the functions show up?
-A popup list of variables and functions for the default objects.
The rpgcode.getSprite(spriteid) and rpgcode.getCharacter() functions, not much is really known about their inner-workings (unless you browse the source or use JSON.stringfy()).